Council tax discounts and exemptions

A full council tax charge is payable if there are two or more adults (aged 18 or over) living in a property as their main home.

Students and carers usually aren’t counted in your household numbers. Discounts can also apply for apprentices, school leavers, care leavers and hospitalised, disabled or severely mentally impaired people.

There is more information about the discounts below. You can apply for discounts or exemptions by logging on to the Council Tax portal which uses the mygovscot myaccount. This is a secure and trusted service provided by the Scottish Government. For more information see mygovscot myaccount.

Related Publications