If there is someone, an adult or child, living in your home who is substantially and permanently disabled you could be entitled to a reduction.

The reduction is made by charging council tax at the valuation band below the one the property is in. For example, if your property is in band D, the council tax bill will be worked out as if it were in band C. This reduction also applies if your home is in band A.

The property must have at least one of the features shown below and this must be essential or of major importance to the disabled person's wellbeing:

  • An extra kitchen or bathroom for the particular needs of the disabled person
  • Any other room which is not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet and is mainly used by the disabled person
  • Enough indoor space for the disabled person to use their wheelchair. The wheelchair must be needed by the disabled person for the day-to-day living.

You can find out about how we manage the personal information you provide by reading the privacy policy.