Housing Benefit

In most circumstances, if you are working age and need help with your housing costs you must claim this through Universal Credit from the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP).

If you live in supported accommodation and receive Universal Credit, you can still receive Housing Benefit from us to help with your rent.

This also applies when one member of a couple has reached State Pension qualifying age, but the other is under that age. More information about Housing Benefit eligibility can be found here.

Existing Housing Benefit claimants should carry on claiming as normal. Single pensioners and couples, where both are pensioners, should continue to claim Housing Benefit as normal. You’ll be told as soon as you need to do anything differently.

Housing benefit is a means-tested benefit, payable to people who are responsible for paying rent. We work out how much you'll get by looking at:

  • the amount of money you receive
  • the amount of savings and investments you have
  • the circumstances and income of people who live with you

If your savings and investments are over £16,000, you will not qualify for housing benefit.

If you receive a Housing Cost Element as part of your Universal Credit award, you will not be able to claim Housing Benefit.

Housing benefit helps people who pay rent to the Council or to a private landlord or housing association. The Government calls housing benefit for private tenants Local Housing Allowance.

Important Changes to Your Housing Benefit

The UK Government has placed a limit on the total amount of benefits working-age people can receive. This is known as the Benefit Cap.

The cap amounts are:

  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) for couples
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) for lone parents (if your children live with you)
  • £257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) if you’re single.

If your income from benefits is above these levels, the amount of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit you receive may be reduced. Further information can be found at

Also introduced by the UK Government in April 2013 was the removal of the Spare Room Subsidy, also known as the Bedroom Tax. This change means that Council and Housing Association tenants of working age who have more bedrooms than the Government decides they need will have their Housing Benefit reduced. It's cut by 14% if they have 1 bedroom too many or 25% if they have 2 or more bedrooms too many.

In some limited circumstances, you may be able to apply for help from the DHP fund if you have been affected by the new spare bedrooms or benefit cap rules. Find out who can claim and apply online at

For more information on Welfare and Benefits, please visit

Applying Online

If you do not have a computer at home, computers are available and free to use at all Fife libraries. Find your nearest at:

If you need help or support completing the application form, please call us on 03451 55 11 55 or complete the Book an Appointment form, to make an appointment at your nearest Customer Service Centre.

When you make a claim for housing benefit, you will be asked to provide evidence to support your claim. All documents, certificates and evidence must be originals. Your documents can be handed into a Customer service centre by appointment or you can send them to the Benefits and Council Tax Team at the address below.

Benefits and Council Tax Team
PO BOX 18015
North Street

View your claim and letters online

We have introduced the facility to allow Housing Benefit/ Council Tax Reduction/ Discretionary Housing Payment customers to register to view information electronically. This will include notifications confirming the details used in any assessment and entitlement where applicable.

To register for online letters or to view your Claim Summary click the button below.

Please note in order to register or access your Claim Summary you will need the following information:

  • National Insurance Number
  • Date of Birth
  • Current claim reference – this may be on letters previously sent to you. If you do not have any letters containing this information you can contact the Benefits and Council Tax Team for assistance on 03451 55 11 55.
  • An email address

You can view the answers to the questions we get asked most often, about this service, in our FAQ section.

Housing Benefit Payment Dates

January 2023
How often do you receive a payment? If you receive your HB by BACS, the next payment will arrive in your account on:
Two Weekly 06/01/2023
Four  Weekly06/01/2023
Calendar Monthly31/01/2023
February 2023
How often do you receive a payment? If you receive your HB by BACS, the next payment will arrive in your account on:
Two Weekly 03/02/2023
Four Weekly 03/02/2023
Calendar Monthly 28/02/2023