Fife Council have introduced a revised complaint handling procedure from 1 April 2021. A published version of this procedure will be added shortly.

What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint.

Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage 1 - frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, and immediate action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at Stage 1 in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next. We might suggest that you take your complaint to Stage 2. You may choose to do this immediately or sometime after you get our initial decision.

Stage 2 - investigation

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at Stage 1 and those that are complex and require detailed investigation.

When using Stage 2 we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days;
  • discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and agree what we will investigate and what outcome you are looking for; also
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it. There is no further level of appeal within the council.

The SPSO cannot normally look at:

  • a complaint that has not completed our complaints procedure (so please make sure it has done so before contacting the SPSO);
  • events that happened, or that you became aware of, more than a year ago; and
  • a matter that has been or is being considered in court.

You can contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman in the following ways:

In person: SPSO, Bridgeside House, 99 McDonald Road, Edinburgh. EH7 4NS

By post: Freepost SPSO

Freephone: 0800 377 7330